The vineyarded soil at La Raia is calcareous and clayish, it extends at approximately 400 metres above sea level with a south-east-west exposure. A crown of vineyards distributed around the cellar, with an average density of 4500 vines per hectare. According to the farm’s core philosophy that complies with the biodynamic principles, the vines are farmed without any use of chemicals.
Cortese grapes for Gavi production benefit of the typical microclimate of our area, which highly concentrates its activation within the vineyards located around the cellar. The grapes are healthy and present a good sugar rate and a balanced acidity; this allows us to produce a very pleasant and easy to drink white wine.
Grapes are handpicked around mid-September and, after a careful selection, they are destemmed. In this way grapes only arrive in the wine press for a delicate pressing. After the natural decantation, must is put in stainless steel tanks to avoid microbiological alteration which could compromise the wine quality. The alcoholic fermentation lasts 15/20 days and takes place at the controlled temperature of 18° C. The wine is left on native yeasts for about 3/4 months; it is then cold stabilized, before being bottled in March. This me-thod helps to obtain a fresh, ready to drink wine.
COLOUR: is straw yellow, with slight greenish hints.
AROMA: offers a particularly fine mineral feeling and notes of fruit and white flowers.
MOUTHFEEL: lively, balanced, with a fresh acidity, which increases its persistance and favours its drinkability. A slight almondish finish.
ALCOHOL CONTENT: 13%
Excellent as aperitif, paired with hors d’oeuvres and fish ragù or vegetable first courses. It is the perfect match also for seafood, white meat and fresh young cheese.
BEST SERVED: Between 10° and 12° C.
Tips for a perfect storage
If stored in a cool dry place, and in the dark, at 10°/18° C, bottles keep unaltered up to 3/4 years.
Respecting the earth gives great quality. Gavi DOCG has received several awards over the years and we are happy to share them with you.
- Slow Wine 2019: Rich and broad, with strong scents of white flowers and yellow ripe fruit. Robust in the mouth, with fine volume
- Prosit (ONAV): Balanced palate, with an extremely clean finish
- Vini Buoni d’Italia 2019: Crown, Audience’s Crown 4 stars
- Slow Wine 2018: Excellent everyday wine. Intense floral hints. Perfect balance in mouth between juicy body and fresh acidity
- Bibenda 2018: Five Grapes
- Gambero Rosso 2018: Two red glasses
- Vitae: La guida vini 2018, fresh, young wine, easy to drink
- Go Wine: Cantine d’Italia 2018, worth to taste
- Slow Wine 2017: Balanced acidity in mouth which makes it fresh, bright and light drinking
- Bibenda 2017: Three Grapes
- I vini di Veronelli 2017: Two Stars
- Vinibuoni d’Italia 2017: Three Stars
- Gambero Rosso 2017: red Glasses
- Vitae. La guida vini 2017: Great profile wine
- Slow Wine 2016: Cortese grapes characteristics are exalted
- I vini di Veronelli 2016: 1 star
- Gambero Rosso 2016: 1 glass
- I vini d’Italia 2016: 4 bottles – 16.5/20
- Annuario dei Migliori Vini Italiani 2016: 84/100
- I vini d’Italia 2015, le Guide de L’Espresso: Excellent wine
- I vini di Veronelli 2015: Very good wine
- Bibenda 2015: Three grapes
- Guida Essenziale ai Vini d’Italia: 86/100, Wine with an excellent ratio between quality and price
- Gambero Rosso 2015: Two glasses
- Vini buoni d’Italia 2015: Three stars
- Slow Wine 2015: Everyday wine
- Annuario dei Migliori Vini Italiani 2015: 85/100
- I vini d’Italia 2014, Le Guide de L’Espresso: Excellent wine
- I vini di Veronelli 2014: 87/100 Very good wine
- Bibenda 2014: Three grapes
- Annuario dei migliori vini italiani 2014: 85/100
- I vini buoni d’Italia 2014: Four stars
Buy the byodinamic excellence
The organic products of the company, the selection of all our wine labels and the chance to receive special invitations. Go to the online shop